Wednesday 8 July 2009

Mountain Gorillas, Parc de Volcans, Rwanda
One of THE highlights of the trip; an absolutely amazing experience! We were lucky enough to get to visit the Susa group, which with 41 members is the biggest one in Rwanda (one of the females, Poppy, was named by Diane Fossey). After about 2 1/2 hours of trekking at over 3000 meters above sea level, we found ourselves in the middle of the group. Saw around 30 gorillas, among them four silverbacks and several little ones, and came so close that we could have touched a couple of them.

2 comments:

Julehya said...

I have traveled extensively around Europe and the US but never had the chance to visit Africa which is one of my long time dreams.

I am too old for any traveling adventure now. I hope to go on my own "Afica sojourn" vicariously with your blog.

All the best

Digital Monetisation said...

Hard to differentiate between the gorillas and Jagger ;-)